COXWOLD LOCAL HISTORY SOCIETY
The Society exists to preserve and promote the fascinating history of our Estate Village and its surrounding buildings, area, customs and countryside. Coxwold, with its 1000+ years of recorded history, perpendicular-style Church with its unique tower, many listed buildings, close proximity to Byland Abbey and Newburgh Priory and its 18th century author Laurence Sterne, deserves no less.
In 2015 the Society was asked by the Village to revise the Coxwold Village Guide, which had been first printed in 1978. The result was a 20-page commercially printed illustrated booklet which lays out all the principal historical attractions of the Village and includes a map with pointers to other amenities, including the Fauconberg Arms. The Guide is available in the Church and at the pub, and also from the Secretary of the Local History Society, price £2.
The principal objectives of the Society are:
- To record as much local history as possible by interviewing long-time residents, ensuring that family records, photographs and memories are conserved for future generations.
- To establish and maintain the village archive with the intention of creating a database accessible through the website.
- To organise an on-going series of talks and guided tours in the village and surrounding countryside.
- To research and publish booklets/pamphlets on various aspects of Coxwold and village life. The revision of the Coxwold Booklet is an example of this.
- To include and research 20th century as well as earlier history.
- To research and exhibit the history of Coxwold’s many listed buildings, people, trades and social development.
The Society normally meets on a Wednesday evening every quarter with special event meetings held as occasion demands. There is no membership fee. To join, just come along to a meeting or event, or contact John Robinson (Secretary) on 01347 868122 or at
Most recent projects have included the production of new leaflets and booklets for the Church and a research paper on the Snever Observatory that will form the basis of a talk in the near future.
We exchange information and support the meetings of nearby history societies. Notices are posted here as information becomes available.
NEXT MEETING - To be advised. More information from the
COXWOLD LOCAL HISTORY SOCIETY: JOIN US!
We are looking to recruit new members. Please see here for more details of how you can find out more about Coxwold's history!
Please contact the webmaster, Peter Wyn-Jones if you would like to inform the community about an event, advertise your business or any other queries.