News & Info
Tuesday January 25, 2022

Coxwold Village - Pastures and Moors

Residents of Coxwold have been breathing new life into a redundant  BT phone box

IMG 9300cxThe old phone kiosk was last used in the twentieth century.  Coxwold Parish Council purchased it from BT in 2017 for £1 after the the equipment had been taken out.  Recently it has been repainted  in Phone Box Red and the inside has been stripped out and fitted with a new display board and shelf.

The new lettering,  COXWOLD INFORMATION,  was made by Alpha Signs of Thirsk.

The fuller story:

The box, a K6 type designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935, is one of about 60,000 installed by the GPO (and one of about 12,000 surviving).  Before starting work, information on procedure was obtained from Bob Roberts at Sproxton who had overhauled their phone box.  The “Team Leader” of the project in Coxwold was Neil Baker.

First, most of the old glass panes and their frames were removed with a hammer before the tougher job of rubbing down and removal of 70 years of old paint and rust was carried out.  A coat of primer and a topcoat of red paint were then evenly applied before finally adding the detail of the gold Royal Crowns.  Twenty-four new glass panes and their frames were fitted before internal boarding was put in place.

The board displays a map showing five local walks, a separate map of Coxwold and a brief summary of village information.  A pamphlet of three walks is available from the kiosk.

The box is situated on the eastern entrance to the village below a juniper tree outside what was the Post Office from 1914 until 1985.

The pictures below show Simon LeGassicke, Neil Baker and John Robinson, who all renovated the phone box. 

IMG 0105826xcs
IMG 112653s
IMG 104506cs
IMG 093329cs
IMG 110337s
IMG 9283cx
IMG 9287cx
IMG 9294cx

COXWOLD WEATHER

NEWS & INFORMATION